Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sippy Cup Snatching!



I was working out the other day and Ava was in the nursery they have at the facility (Alec was at preschool). They have great child care there, so I feel really good about leaving her there while I work out a little. They even have a surveillance camera and I can watch her playing on the screen while I walk on the treadmill!! I thought that was pretty cool technology, and so while I walked on the treadmill listening to my I POD, I watched Ava play.

I had let her keep her sippy cup with her because she had not drink much at all that morning. I realized as I watched that I was watching the sippy cup more than Ava. There have been a lot of sicknesses going around, and I'm a little paranoid. (Can any of you Mom's relate?) Anyway...I watched her put the sippy cup in the pretend microwave, take it out drop it on the floor, pick it back up stick it in her mouth. Then she left it on the table and went to the other side of the room. I was literally getting nervous over this! Then low and behold a runny nosed little girl came along...she sat right down in front of the sippy cup just looking at it while wiping the snot from her nose....I wanted to run down there and snatch it up! Of coarse she picked it up and drink to her little hearts content and wandered around the room with it. When Ava noticed her cup in the little girl's hands she started screaming (I could only see the scream, but can imagine how loud it was) The teacher came over took it out of the runny nosed child's hands and put it right into Ava's...without cleaning it off!!!!!! I think I may have said "NO!"out loud while walking on the treadmill. I actually reached out for the screen, like that was going to do something! OK...so I sound a little crazy...but please don't have me committed, I just want my little girl to stay healthy for once. Every time she gets a little cold she has this HORRIBLE sounding cough that makes everyone stare and glare. Now I realize that there are a million ways a child can catch a cold, and that the sippy swiping happens ALL the time, and it's really not that big of a deal. The truth is that I just don't want to see it when it happens! All this to say I may opt out of watching Ava play while I work out....it's much too stressful! :)

5 comments:

Janette said...

Oh, that's so gross! I totally understand your paranoia and think it's totally warranted. But yeah, I understand why you might not watch what's going on anymore!

Josie said...

I'm with you, right now so much stuff is going around. It makes me want to just stay home for awhile. That's neat that you can watch but I probably wouldn't watch anymore either.

Mer said...

GOOD GRIEF!! I can't believe you saw all that. I bet you were running faster than normal!

js said...

I would have felt the same way! Sometimes it's better just not to watch. I'm sure that stuff happens all the time but we never see it- we just have sick kids 3 days later. :)

Jaime said...

I think I'd quit watching, too! And maybe don't send her sippy cup in the room. It's not too long of a time to go without a sip here and there.

But, I'm with Meredith, I bet it made you run faster than normally! :-)


Alec looks like a gangsta in this pic (minus the wooly worm)...looks like he's saying "That's the way I roll"